Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11 in Stained Glass


My name is Anna Truckey. I am 28 years old. Back in January of 2001 my grandfather died and left a stained glass commission unfinished for my parish church, Sacred Heart of the Hills Catholic Church in Auburn Hills , Michigan. All I had from him was a rough watercolor sketch of what the window design was supposed to be of. That year, after September 11th, I noticed that one panel in my grandfather's design would (eerily) lend itself perfectly to be transformed into a 9/11 memorial window. All I had to add was the two towers in the background. In the panel were already a flight attendant, a businessman,a man of dark complexion, a doctor and a nurse, a fireman and police officer, a partial business woman on a computer (her head is in another frame of the window) and a miscellaneous man in the top right of the panel. I was given permission by the parish priest to do what I wanted with the window. Several of the portraits that I included in the window were people who died on September 11 either in the towers or on the planes. I pulled their faces off of websites of victims. One face is of a man who died that day and was the son in law of a former teacher. I turned the flight attendant into one specifically from American Airlines. I put FDNY 9-11-01 on the fireman's sleeve.
The portrait in the top right corner I transformed into Father Mychal F. Judge. I was so transfixed by his story and the photo of Father Judge's body being hauled away from the scene that I knew I had to include him.

If anyone stumbles across this blog and knew Father Judge personally, I would love to send you a photo or two of my window and his portrait in it (no charge). Please just leave a comment and an email and I will get back to you.

God bless.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you very much Anna, for sharing these. God bless always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really beyond words.. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, this is so beautiful! God bless you!
    Stephanie, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  4. This window is one of the most beautiful memorials to the victims of September 11th. Thank you so very much for sharing it with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless you for sharing your talents with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome talent and the willingness to take the time to honor your grandfather, the
    9-11 victims and rescuers. Thank you so much and may God Bless You beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete